Pages

Sunday 15 April 2018

Old film


Last week Grandson told me about what he called “an old film” he’d watched recently. It was a monster film and although he enjoyed it he thought the graphics weren’t very good. I asked him when the film was made and he told me 1981.

“Crikey, a film made in 1981 isn’t old,” I thought, but of course it is to him. My immediate notion of an “old film” was a black and white film made no later than the fifties, but on reflection one made in 1981 would probably seem old to me too. Films soon become dated. For one thing some or even most of the actors in a 1981 film could be dead by now.

All those decades and all those films we watched. They haven’t improved much, if at all.

That conversation with Grandson reminded me of another film-watching incident. Mrs H and I recently watched a definitely old film from the 1940s and for once managed to hear every word. It had been remastered but the dialogue was clear enough for our ageing ears. Just as well because it was mostly dialogue.

However, a recently watched modern film starring Nicholas Cage was entirely different – we had to use the Bluetooth headphones to make out what the man was saying. The quality of film actors' diction seems to have declined over the decades, but dialogue seems to have become less significant too, as if the image is more important than the words. 

7 comments:

Sackerson said...

Agreed: modern film acting diction and soundtrack are indistinct, muddy, noisy; and eyes matter more than ears; special effects trump character and plot.

James Higham said...

Wonder what the best talking film of all time is - where the talking is the thing?

Sam Vega said...

Are there any popular modern films where there is good dialogue and clear diction? Would lots of people still value these things enough to pay for them?

Scrobs. said...

I suppose nobody ever found out what Marlon Brando was really on about...

Demetrius said...

With digitisation in recent TV and film now the length of takes has become just a few seconds and comes with flashy lighting etc.. So hard to watch as well as listen to. Also, noise levels high and with nasty acoustics. My brain hurts etc.. There are many people for whom this is bad and should be avoided. Thank goodness for older films especially those where you can hear as well as see.

wiggiatlarge said...

Bluetooth headphones, youv'e lost me there, this new fangled gadgetry !!!!!!

A K Haart said...

Sackers - I sometimes wonder if it is poor work by sound engineers but probably not. As you say, eyes matter more than ears.

James - I don't know but as I recall Dixon of Dock Green relied heavily on dialogue rather than action. Wouldn't be the case now.

Sam - I don't watch enough films to offer an answer, but non-Hollywood films might be the place to start.

Scrobs - did they care?

Demetrius - I sometimes used to time the length of takes rather than watch the action and yes, it was often only a few seconds.

Wiggia - very useful if your hearing is a little fuzzy.