Pages

Monday 8 January 2018

Fat BBC cats

source

The story triggered by Carrie Gracie is surely enough to brighten the day of even the most
curmudgeonly curmudgeon. 

Carrie Gracie, who last night resigned from her post over equal pay, has said the broadcaster's top salaries are "unacceptably high".

Gracie, who was China Editor, revealed she turned down a £45k pay rise and suggested male journalists in equal roles to women should take a pay cut in order to close the gender wage gap.

She told BBC Woman's Hour: "I believe in public service broadcasting and I do think salaries at the top are unacceptably high both for presenters and stars of various kinds and also for managers.


Always a delight to see the Beeb entangle itself in the same political correctness it promotes with such priggish tenacity.

Maybe not a huge nail in the corporate coffin, but every little helps. The number of people comfortable with fat BBC salaries cannot be large and with luck may dwindle still further after this reminder.

6 comments:

Scrobs. said...

She's still there though, and while I know she has battled and won against illness, her pension will still be enormous compared to the self-funded one we get, that is after the Equitable Life scandal which still needs unravelling - and probably won't ever get mended.

The BBC is an utter disgrace as a national broadcaster, and I hate the whole bloody lot of them.

Sam Vega said...

It's not as satisfying as the Savile revelations, but a ray of winter sunshine nevertheless.

Demetrius said...

Benny Hill had a thing about big women. I wonder why there is little or nothing of his work these days on TV?

The Jannie said...

Demetrius - it's because big women defy the "it's for your own good" mantra. To be big they must eat sugar and fat and we all know that's not the way we're supposed to behave . . . They probably ignore their 5 a day and smoke and eat salt by the spoonful.

Anonymous said...

My God, my granny in her younger days.

A good old proverb is 'he who works too cheap robs his family'. Most people want to maximise the good feeling/good cash aspect of their work. If Ms Gracie wants to bu^&er off and do good elsewhere bully for her.

When I listen to Auntie Beeb I want to hear from the best people in their trade. For my licence money I want to hear from people who are good at what they do. I don't want to hear from people who are not quite up to the job. Mostly I am satisfied with Auntie Beeb, I only tune to R2 when some boring Brexit argument or some Schoenberg is on, saves on domestic arguments.

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - I agree it is a disgrace, falls far short of what it could have been.

Sam - and as with the Savile revelations it all fades over time. A great pity.


Demetrius and DCB - have big women become unfashionable?

Roger - my view of the Beeb became more negative as we gave up on it. To my mind there is a familiarity effect which works in its favour and obscures how poor it is.