Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Reform Section 5


I don't do campaigns apart from sneering at climate change every now and then, but David at duffandnonsense did a post on Rowan Atkinson's speech which has been widely praised. 

Because yes - this law is a threat to free speech. For example, I can get away with referring to Nick Clegg a stain on the body politic, as so many of us do, but only because it's true. If I insult him and the police and courts decide I may be insulting Cleggy (fat chance) and causing him distress, then it may be a fine and a criminal record for me.

Stupid? Of course it is - that's the world we live in.

Oops - I've insulted the whole world now.

2 comments:

James Higham said...

Glad that got so much currency, that issue.

A K Haart said...

James - yes it's one to watch.